Monday, November 14, 2011

Oh Mr. Smith

There is a new Mr. Smith in my life these days. He only comes to visit about four times a year. But on those quiet visits we sit with one another over a pot of tea, and I find myself becoming lost in all his stories of history and adventure...

In case you're wondering though, I'm definitely not in some sort of adulterous relationship approximately four times a year, Joel is still the only man for me. I'm talking about Smith Journal - the new quarterly publication for discerning gents (and ladies who like reading about discerning gents). 


"Smith Journal is about the guys you know and the kind of guys you'd like to know better... It’s heads-up and hands-on. A friendly guide to all things creative, intriguing, genuine and funny – full of stories, people, adventures, interesting conversations and gentlemanly style..."

That's the very description that sold me the other day when I started reading the first edition of Smith Journal. And I'll tell you now guys (and gals) it is fantastic! Now I'm no gentleman myself, but I know a few, and just from a quick flick through I am certain that they would rather enjoy it. Volume One alone covers a range of interesting things from living in a house boat and talking like a 19th century sailor, to a sneak peak into the contents of a muso's wardrobe, as well as info on how to survive the coming apocalypse! Oh and it has the standard guy stuff up in there as well - beers included!

If that didn't convince you, then maybe these five random facts from the first volume will! Did you know...

Two thirds of all Landrovers ever sold are still on the road today. 

Most of the current world's Rubick's Cube records are held by a 15 year old from Melbourne. 

Cormac McCarthy paid $50 for this Olivetti Typewriter in 1936. It sold for $254, 000.

The perfect climate and high quality ingredients are two of the most important factors to consider when making Salami.

Good mates Michael Carroll and Andrew Walker rode their pushies from the Arctic Sea to the bottom of South America. Over two years. For $10 a day.


If you're not the type to be seen carrying around a *gentle*manly mag in public, then hit up the brand new Smith Journal website from the safe confines of your own space. Or just head on over for some daily interesting reads about adventure, history, science, D.I.Y, photography, design, arts and so so much more! Because really, waiting a whole quarter for a fresh dose of Mr. Smith is way too long! 

Edit: I was so in love with the simplicity of this magazine, especially it's use of classy serif's. So I decided to use it as inspiration for a blog re-design. I've gone back to peachy pinks and toned it down a lot. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I love your re-design. We have similar styles it looks like. I, too, love peachy pinks! So cute :)

    xo, Samantha
    http://theadventuresoftwosams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to have a read of this when i heard it was being printed. Now i know it's worth the read. Thanks dude

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...